Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Beat maker vs. Music Producer... Which one are you?

                  Beat maker vs Music Producer.... 
                                               Which one are you?






 Yesterday it all clicked. I've been training Music Producers since 2008 and it finally hit me. I've worked with aspiring as well as major Artist/Producers and now I get it. Some beat makers really think they've got it all figured out.... they think they're Music Producers. <Blank Stare>


This blog is not to insult but to put an end to the false claiming of Music Producers. How dare you use 3 keys on the midi- controller and claim you're the best producer ever? Your tracks has no bridge nor chord-progressions (you don't even understand how to build chord-progressions) and you claimed you're a Music Producer???? You tapping a beat machine or creating your beat through the computer software and you got the never to call yourself a Music Producer... (some have been brave to even call themselves Musicians)! Lastly, you're making beats in 10minutes to go to the next.... hmmm. I (LadySonya @IamLadySonya) can write this blog because yes, I've put in  and is still putting in work. Been playing the piano since age 9 and have taken Music Theory course all through college... I'm constantly stretching my brain to learn more about music to say the least.




What is a Beat Maker?

A beat maker makes beats, nothing more, nothing less. I was having a photo shoot once and asked my photographer a general question "What makes a person a model?" He didn't respond with an answer but with another question "What makes a person a musician?". I thought about it. He went to say, if he knew the notes on a piano or even knew how to play just one song would he be considered a musician. Heck no. Same goes to a beat maker. Just cause they can make beats doesn't mean they are a producer. A beat maker is in a process. They are learning how to actually produce music. The beat maker just simply makes the beats and possibly sells them for others to do whatever. He/She isn't there to direct and instruct the artist on how to bring the track out. A beat maker has absolutely no influence of whats going on with the track. The good thing about being a beat maker is you have no control of the success of the track. If you called yourself a "Producer" and the music on the track was wack... guest what... you're considered wack.




What is a Music Producer?


A Music Producer takes on a great deal of responsibility to create, shape and mold a piece of music into their vision for the artist's mixtape/album. Along with that to say the least, a music producer also coaches and directs the musicians to bring the best out of the production created. A music producer job is far more than just the beat but also the completion of the song as a whole. He/She works with the songwriter, engineers and artist to develop the production as a whole. He/She may hire in musicians to come in and play live instruments on the track. The Music Producer understands he's in charge of everything that goes on with the composition or he/she is held accountable for a song that went bad. Some Music Producers have beat makers signed to them but at the end of the day... the music producer is held accountable for the track. 




So, there you have it. If you've been false claiming you can stop today. It's okay to be either. Just be the best. I didn't mention anything about musicians. Will address that if needed. 




What are your thoughts?


Follow on Twitter
LadySonya @iamladysonya
The Producer Camp @TheProducerCamp


For general questions email: producer@ladysonyamusic.com

14 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. Ive been making beats for only 3 years but ive been in music for more then 15 years being a drummer. i know im no producer. but i do know thats what my striving to be. You can produce music if you dont know different notes and keys. but thats my opinion. music is much more then putting a couple of patterns together. beat makers win the streets. Producers win grammys. @beatsbyD_no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post... i completely agree with u on both counts. i've been a music producer for over 10 years, but i've been making beats since '91. there is a major difference in between the two titles. i have called musicians in, singers in, constantly asked how i feel about an artist's performance on a track and offer input on everything, if i'm not feeling the song or the energy being put into the song, i've been known to stop everything and go back to the drawing board for often better results... it took years to learn how to bring out the best in the people we work for as producers, but the results get the accolades, grammys, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the answer is plain and simple, a beat maker only makes beats and doesn't really focus on creating entire songs. Producers do everything from making the beat, coming up with themes for the song, writing lyrics to a song, mixing it to perfection, and maybe even be part of the mastering process.

    If you are looking for ways to improve your beat sales, you should get in contact with me, I have few tutorial videos that will help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've hit the nail on the head!
    I tried to explain this to a friend last week, but he got really offended... he is a beat maker - not a musician or a producer. He is not interested in learning how to write a song, in fact he thinks that you don't have to if you have to right software.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .... I know people that make beats and they don't claim anyting. They make beats because they love it and they are passionate about it , that's all.

    The fact that you have studied music in an early age doesn't make you better than a beat maker, we should respect them as I'm sure they respect other forms of creating music.
    We, musicians : vocalist, instrument players, composers... and YES!! I'm gonna inlcuded the beat makers, have the same purpose we are just using a different medium.

    Quote: ' how dare you using 3 keys in the midi- controller??' ehem ehem

    Making a beat takes time, dedication and work, some beats might be more simple than others ,like I suppose, some of your compositions.

    you can find shitty beats out there but There is shitty music writing on stave too, right?.

    whatever you like it or not they are beat makers that are great producers some of them really good musicans as well, and it's their work that speaks for themselves.
    The ones that are only beat makers they are just beat makers and they proudly know.

    P.S. apologise for my writting, english is not my first language...


    ReplyDelete
  6. That Is True Music Is Make The World Go Around If You Would Like To Know The Best Software For Making Beats Visit This Website http://bestsoftwareformakingbeats.weebly.com/best-beats-making-software-videos-make-beats-like-a-professinol.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. music makes the life being in heaven......to buy free tracks or beats visit-http://marksmanbeatz.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank you for making this answer clear for me. I've been dong this for 2 years and have been progressing dramatically. I literally crave it. But I know if I want to be the best I have to earn my place and not go around bragging because real music producers don't brag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take advantage of a rare PRODUCER MENTORSHIP opportunity with 12x Platinum Producer/Music Industry guru Keith Clizark.

    **Possible placement opportunities**

    "Once you understand the CRAFT, then you can truly master the CRAFT"......

    For further information please, inbox or email me: clizark1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It still baffles me how so many people neglect Dr Drum If you don't have the money for studio time, then DD is literally the best software on the market for recording at home. I have some friends who literally live by it and it blows fruity loops out of the water.
    I'll do you one better... Check this shit and thank me later Click Here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often. Jason Aldean Tickets

    ReplyDelete
  12. For true fans of this thread I will address is a free online! Capital Bra T Shirt

    ReplyDelete